End of the Week Review:
For Mystery Monday, we had to describe a Disney movie in 15 photos... but it had a twist to it! So my group had Snow White and the 7 Deadly Sins. It was great bonding time, but so super awkward... :)
This week, Mike Aleckson talked to Link Year students. He started on Tuesday by drawing a big timeline, starting with Genesis 1:1 “In the Beginning, God” and ended with Revelation 22:21. The very first point he made was referring to the verse Matthew 5:48 which says, “You are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Mike told us he would explain this verse at the end of our session on Thursday. I loved Mike’s teaching mainly because I love history, and he talked about the history of the Bible and when things took place. We were given verses and the dates of God’s covenants. A covenant is a promise that has rules. The first example was the Adamic covenant in Genesis 2;16-17. Adam was told he could eat freely from any of the trees in the garden, except the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He continued to give the Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, and new covenant. As the week progressed, he gave us dates of important Old Testament points. Mike also talked about how easily we think of the Old Testament as “what we need to do” and the New Testament as “what we believe.” He demonstrated through scripture that the New Testament has multiple references about not just believing, but doing.
My favorite thing I learned this week was when Mike explained Matthew 5:48. He said that the word perfect is teleion in Greek, which means fulfill your purpose for whicj you were created. So basically the verse reads: Be teleion for you Father in heaven is teleion. Since I have graduated high school and have to start thinking about my college career, Mike made references to majors. He touched on fashion, which is what I’m majoring in. He said to think about your major and how it can further the Kingdom. We came up with some points: to make earth friendly clothing, modest clothing, use profit to help the less fortunate, and to buy clothes that does not use child labor, even if it is more expensive. The fashion industry can we looked down upon since it is not a direct ministry, but it can be used to further the Kingdom, just like any other major.
I learned so much this week I never knew. Including Matthew 5:48 context, the verses on the works in the New Testament, the shape of a world view is a circle, a world view gives meaning to the: past, present, and future, and Judaism/Christianity/Islam has the shape of a ray!
Oh goodness! I almost forgot about the Fort! Cole preached Proverbs 3 and focused on verses 3-8, which says we will always have conflict. The first reactions I have when conflict comes is: anger, pride, bitterness, etc. The Words says to have kindness. Whaaaat? "It will bring healing to your body and refreshment to your bones." SO AWESOME.
Continue reading every Thursday night to learn what all Anna Katherine is learning at the Kanakuk Link Year!
Family Dinner: The Fords
The Fort: Cole.. Don't know how to spell his last name.
No comments:
Post a Comment